“Pack a big punch of fibre by using wholegrain rice, along with broad beans and peas. The avocado provides essential fats, which can help prevent depression, as well as being a source of tryptophan needed to make serotonin.” Dietitian Dr Sarah Schenker.
Gluten free, vegan
- 2 people
- 100 g broad beans, fresh or frozen
- 100 g petits pois peas, frozen
- 250 g wholegrain, wild or black and red rice, ready cooked in a pouch
- 1 avocado, diced
- 10 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- - Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- - Juice and zest of a lime
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
Heat the rice according to the packet instructions.
Cook the broad beans and peas in boiling water for 3 minutes.
Drain and refresh in cold water, then drain again. Pop the beans from their outer skins.
Combine the oil, lime, chilli and garlic to make a dressing.
Place the rice, broad beans, peas, avocado, radish, spring onion and parsley in a bowl.
Season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the dressing and stir to combine.