Vegan Fermented Food
‘Miso paste is made by fermenting soyabeans with salt and koji, a type of fungus. As well as boosting friendly bacteria in the gut, miso is associated the other health benefits including lower blood pressure and protection against some cancers.’- (Dr Sarah Schenker, dietitian)
- 4 people
- 300 g tofu, diced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1.5 litres water or vegetable stock
- 6 tbsp brown miso paste
- A thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 10 mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely sliced or julienned
- 2 heads baby bok choy, chopped in half lengthways
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
Place the diced tofu in a bowl and add the soy sauce, toss to coat.
Pour the water or stock into a large saucepan and bring back to the boil. Stir in the miso paste.
Add the spring onions, mushrooms, carrots and bok choy and simmer gently for around 5 minutes until tender.
Add the tofu for the last minute.
Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.